The Irish Mining and Quarrying Society are delighted to announce our 2023 field trip.
We are travelling to Glengowla Mines in Oughterard Co.Galway on Friday 16th June 2023.
Numbers are limited – IMQS Members will have priority.
Glengowla is a lead and silver mine from the 1850’s. We will meet for tea and coffee and then experience a guided tour of the underground workings of this abandoned lead and silver mine.
Mining Tour Itinerary
Glengowla Mines, Glengowla Oughterard,Co. Galway H91 PX22
Meet at Glengowla Mines at 9:45am.
- Coffee and Introductions
- Tour of Mine at 10am
- Brunch in Oughterard at 11:30am
Brunch will kindly be sponsored by Irish Industrial Explosives and McGrath Limestone
Suggested Afternoon Activities (not organised by IMQS)
Aran Island Tour
- Aran Island sight seeing visit to Inis mor.
- For this you would need to depart Oughterard at 12:15pm for the 13:00 ferry from Rossaveel Port.
- Booking (aranislandferries.com)
- Take in the sights and enjoy an afternoon on Inis Mor.
Oughterard has a magnificent 18 hole championship course situated at the gateway to scenic Connemara, Co. Galway, Ireland
Oughterard is only a 40 mins drive to Galway City.